History of the United States Government
This course surveys the development of the American political system. It examines the struggle for democracy and the structure of the United States government, and provides a framework for how the American political system works.
The Declaration of Independence
Articles of Confederation
At the completion of the course the student will:
1. Gain an understanding of the nation's political origins
2. Discuss the core ideas present in its foundational documents
3. Understand the U.S. government's three main branches, the function of each and key moments when they conflicted and cooperated over the nations's democratic ideals.
4. Appreciate the balance of powers concept embedded in the U.S. Constitution
5. Discuss key moments in the nation's governmental history